6th Grade Jumpstart to Junior High
We are moving forward with the 6th Grade Jumpstart for the 2022-2023 School Year as a pilot program. March 2022 survey results showed that over two thirds of our 5th grade students and K-5 parents are supportive of this program. Jumpstart is a modified schedule for our 6th grade students that we believe would be a tremendous benefit for our students in the following ways:
- Provides an effective transition from Elementary School to Jr High School. “The transition from primary to secondary education is one of the most stressful events in a young person’s life.” (Zeedyk et al., 2003)
- Students would gain an understanding and connection to their future school staff, facility, course offerings, and activities.
- Students would connect with others across the district building friendships.
- Students would receive instruction in the arts from teachers who specialize in each area (Band, Choir, Strings, Visual Arts).
- Would provide increased participation in music.
Essentially, all 6th grade students would attend their future Jr High School for 1st period (7:45-8:40am) each day and then transported by the district to their Elementary School for the remainder of the school day. We are considering this a pilot program and will be reviewing the effectiveness throughout the year.
Please see below for more information.
- Which school will your student attend? (This includes students who are choiced into the school and live in the shared area).
- Eastmont Jr High School: Students enrolled at Clovis Pt, Grant, Rock Island, and part of Kenroy.* (*see Eastmont 7-9 Jr High Attendance Area to see which school student will attend).
- Sterling Jr High School: Students enrolled at Cascade, Lee, and part of Kenroy.* (*see Eastmont 7-9 Jr High Attendance Area to see which school student will attend).
- Welcome 6th Graders!
- 6th Grade Jumpstart Overview (video)
- 6th Grade Jumpstart FAQs (This will be updated regularly with new questions and answers)
- Mr. Alas - Sterling Jr High Music Teacher (Video)
- Ms. Whiteman - Eastmont HS Band Director and District Music Coordinator (Video)
Questions about 6th Grade Students at Elementary Schools? Contact: Your school Principal or Spencer Taylor, Executive Director of Elementary Education, firstname.lastname@example.org, 884-7169.
Questions about 6th Grade Students at the Junior High Schools? Contact Matt Charlton, Assistant Superintendent of Secondary Education, email@example.com, 884-7169.