Eastmont Superintendent Selection
New Superintendent Selected
After an extensive process, the Eastmont School District Board of Directors concluded their superintendent search and offered the position to Dr. Becky Berg.
Dr. Berg began her professional career as a middle school teacher in the Renton School District. Her first principal role was in Bainbridge Island School District for three years and then in the Mead School District for six years. In 2010, she was invited to serve as Superintendent of the Deer Park School District and was there for three years.
In 2013, Dr. Berg became Superintendent of the Marysville School District, which serves nearly 11,000 students in 22 schools, with a staff of roughly 1,300 and a budget of $152 million. She was in Marysville for six years.
Most recently, Dr. Berg has been the Associate and Interim Superintendent of The American School of Dubai, which serves approximately 2,300 students from 82 countries, including children from the United States Consulate. The school was recently named the “Most Outstanding School Overall” in the United Arab Emirates.
Dr. Berg earned her Doctorate in Organizational Leadership from Teachers College Columbia University and her Superintendent’s Credential from Washington State University.
Dr. Berg is married and she and her husband Grant, a retired firefighter, have three grown children.
Superintendent Search - Top 2 Finalists
After preliminary interviews were held this week, the Eastmont School Board of Directors has invited Dr. Becky Berg and Mr. Jerry Pugh to come back to the District for a final interview next week, February 22 & 23, 2022.
This will be the final step in the process to replace Garn Christensen, who is retiring June 30, 2022, after serving 15 years as the Eastmont School District Superintendent.
1) Dr. Becky Berg – will be here on Tuesday, February 22, 2022. She is:
- Currently Associate Superintendent of the American School of Dubai
- Undergraduate degree – Eastern Washington University
- Superintendent credential – Washington State University
- Began her career as a middle school teacher in the Renton School District
2) Mr. Jerry Pugh – will be here on Wednesday, February 23, 2022. He is:
- Currently Superintendent of the Colfax School District since July 2015
- Undergraduate degree – Montana State University Northern
- Superintendent credential – Washington State University
- Began his career as a high school teacher in Tonasket
The public is invited to the Community Forum for each candidate that will be held in the Eastmont Junior High Auditorium at 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings. We also will have an online view-only option for the forum. Here is the Webex link to the same community forum: https://eastmont206.webex.com/eastmont206/j.php?MTID=m131685fd0a38e7eeb16c0508c6062a7c
Here is a link for a Google form to submit questions to the candidates ahead of the forum:
Superintendent Search Observer Panel
The Eastmont School District Board of Directors is seeking individuals to serve on the Superintendent Interview Observer Panel to observe the preliminary interviews of candidates for superintendent of the Eastmont School District.
The interviews will be held on Tuesday, February 15 and Thursday, February 17, 2022 starting at 4:00 p.m. While the School Board will be conducting the interviews, each member of the Interview Observer Panel will have the opportunity to listen and individually provide input to the Board on each candidate’s responses. The input will help the Board select candidate finalists to return for Final Interviews for the superintendent position.
Completed applications are to be returned to the Eastmont District Office or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
by 3:00 p.m. on February 1, 2022.
Click here for a Superintendent Interview Observer Panel Application.
Superintendent Job Posting
Northwest Leadership Associates with input from the Eastmont Board of Directors has provided this Job Posting for Superintendent of Eastmont School District.
Two dates have been scheduled with representatives from Northwest Leadership Associates who will be here to collect input about leadership characteristics and qualities needed in the next Eastmont Superintendent.
Monday, Oct. 25th at 6:00 p.m.
In-person Community Meeting in the Eastmont Junior High School Auditorium in English and Spanish
Tuesday, Oct. 26th at 6:00 p.m.
Zoom Online Community Meetings
English LINK: https://zoom.us/j/98736122626 Password: Eastmont
Spanish LINK: https://zoom.us/j/8362009873 Password: Eastmont
Surveys were closed on October 29, 2021.
In January 2019, Superintendent Garn Christensen announced he would retire on June 30, 2022.
On March 22, 2021 the Eastmont Board of Directors approved issuing a Request for Proposals for a superintendent search consultant. (Wenatchee World article)
At their meeting on May 10, 2021 the Eastmont Board of Directors reviewed the submitted proposals and selected Northwest Leadership Associates for their superintendent search. (Wenatchee World article)
Northwest Leadership Associates has three local representatives assisting the Eastmont Board in their superintendent search:
- Sergio Hernandez, Former Superintendent of the Tekoa, Freemen, and Kahlotus School Districts and Executive Director, WA Association of Latino Administrators and Superintendents. Email Sergio at email@example.com
- William “Bill” Jordan, Former Superintendent of the Walla Walla, Prescott, and Kelso School Districts and Former Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction for Washington State. Email Bill at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tom Rockefeller, Former Superintendent of the Mead and Pullman School Districts and Former Adjunct member of WSU’s Educational Leadership Program. Email Tom at email@example.com
At their meeting on October 11, 2021 the Board approved the timeline and a revised Board Meeting Calendar.